Sunday 15 January 2012

Brain Surgery

All brain surgery is not without its risks. I think that's pretty obvious! But the risks that are specific to MVD are what I have to focus on.


There is a small risk of a stroke, as they need to work so close to the brain stem. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if I woke up from a surgery that I chose to have, to find out I'd had a stroke. One of the reasons I'm writing this blog is to take a look at my life now, to see snippets of each day and, in doing so, decide if I really can carry on like this. If by writing it down I realise that remaining like this is unthinkable then I have to consider if my only source of hope is to go ahead with the surgery. But, if I wake up and find that I've had a stroke I will need something written down that I can't question, something that made the decision 'easier'.
There is also a small, but real risk of a bleed, again, they are working on the brain and there could be a post-op bleed. I will need clear clarification of why I made my decision. I need to be certain that surgery is my best option for the future, despite the risks.
CSF (Cerebral Spinal Fluid) can leak, because they have drilled into the skull. The leak can happen through the nostrils or from the surgery site. I know this can be treated and the leak will stop, it can take time and can cause severe discomfort, it will mean having to lay completely flat and wait for the leak to finally stop. Having a portal of exit, where fluid can leak, also means there is an entry point for bacteria which could lead to meningitis. I am not going to expand on that, meningitis and its complications are well known. This is, again, a very small risk, but it has to be considered along with everything else. 
Other risks are related to increasing the problems with the facial pain and sensations. You can have complete or partial hearing loss, a facial palsy which leads to that side of your face drooping and being unable to close your eye. Damage to other facial nerves that can cause burning and more pain.


More pain and facial symptoms, results of a stroke, a bleed, a spinal fluid leak or meningitis are what I need to risk to possibly get some relief, or complete relief from my current pain and situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment